Leonard Blackham, Commissioner Agriculture
Leonard M. Blackham was appointed Utah Commissioner of Agriculture and Food January 5, 2005 by Governor Jon M. Huntsman, Jr. Commissioner Blackham becomes the state's 6th Commissioner since Utah switched to the single commissioner structure.
Commissioner Blackham has served as the vice president and manager of Moroni Feed's Feed Division. In past years he has served as board member and chairman.
Leonard grew up raising turkeys on the family farm in Moroni, Utah and has been a turkey farmer all of his professional life.
Prior to his appointment as Commissioner of Agriculture and Food, Leonard served for 12 years in the Utah Senate, with 10 of those years in leadership roles.
His leadership positions include:
- Majority Whip (1995 - 2000)
- Majority Leader (2000)
- Senate Chair of Rural Caucus (1994-2004)
- Executive Appropriations Senate Chair (2001-2004)
- Energy Policy Task Force Senate Chair (1998-2004)
- Legislative Process Committee Senate Chair (1995-2004)
- Lands Conservation Task Force Senate Chair (1996)
- Legislative Child Care Task Force Senate Chair (1999)
- State Water Development Commission Senate Chair (1998-2002)
- Applied Technology Education Task Force Senate Chair (2001)
- Member Standing and Interim Ag, Natural Resources, Health and Taxation
Leonard earned an associate's degree at Snow College and a bachelor's in agriculture economics from Utah State University. He and his wife, Laura, are parents to six children and seven grandchildren.
Scouting, and the wonders of the outdoors play an important part in his live.