Innovation plus initiative equals energy independence
"In the world of energy, we must face new realities, we must confront new challenges, and we must envision and act upon new opportunities!"
- Governor Herbert
Call to Action: Ensure access to affordable, reliable and sustainable energy by producing 25% more electrical energy than we consume by 2020.
Objective 1: Advocate responsible energy resource development.
Objective 2: Promote policies and practices for improved air quality.
Objective 3: Aggressively pursue technology innovations in energy efficiency and development.
- Assure appropriate access to public lands and a reasonable permitting and environmental process for energy development.
- Create the Energy Research Triangle to coordinate energy innovation and clean-air efforts at the major Universities and regional Colleges.
- Expand the Constitutional Defense Fund to challenge unreasonable federal regulations that obstruct responsible energy development.
- Consolidate state authority on transmission and pipeline planning and funding into the Office of Energy Development.
- Create the "Utah Clean Business Partnership" - a voluntary program for Utah businesses to implement clean air strategies.
- Advance the discussion of the viability of nuclear power in Utah through a comprehensive suitability study including water, waste disposal, and safety.